Features: Animal Facilitated Therapy
Rehabilitation Dogs are trained to an advanced
level of obedience and retrieving. They use their specialized skills
along with a trainer and therapist to help patients achieve various
rehabilitation goals. Some examples are: maintaining balance by
walking with a dog (PT); increasing arm function by grooming or
patting a dog (OT); improving communication by giving a dog commands
(ST), and developing leisure activities by playing with a dog (TR).
All our dogs have passed a stringent temperament test. They are also carefully screened for health and soundness. Many different breeds, from small to large, have been represented in our programs.
- Guidelines for Developing an Animal Facilitated Therapy Program
- Proposed Standards for an AFT Program and Rehabilitation Dogs
- Infection Control in Animal Facilitated Therapy
- Safety Guidelines for AFT Programs
- Animal Facilitated Speech Therapy
- Animal Facilitation in Occupational and Physical Therapy Sessions
- Animal Training Tips
For more information on the Northeast Rehab AFT Program and volunteer opportunities, please contact us at 603-893-2900.