See all our NRH's features
Psychology - Chronic Headache Program
The Chronic Headache Program at Northeast Rehabilitation Hospital is designed to treat patients with tension, migraine, cluster or mixed types of headaches. Candidates include both those who have not had a satisfactory response to standard medical and pharmacological treatment, and those who need or wish to reduce their use of headache medications.
Prospective patients need to have had a prior evaluation by a neurologist. Our treatment course is time-limited, typically 8-12 weeks.
This program takes an interdisciplinary approach by
providing a treatment team lead by a clinical psychologist and which
also includes a physical therapist and a nutritionist. A staff
physician is available for consultation, and the team will work with
a patient's neurologist or primary care physician on medically
- Increased control and management of headaches
- Decreased use of headache medications
- Reduction or elimination of headaches
TREATMENT MODALITIES MAY INCLUDE
- Behavioral and cognitive techniques
- Biofeedback and relaxation training
- Craniosacral techniques, acupressure, manual therapy and joint mobilization
- Dietary guidance and counseling
- Stress Management
For more information or to make a referral, please call the Psychology Services Department at 603-681-3250.