Our Pain Management Clinic can help you with acute outbreaks of shingles.
After you have begun antiviral medication for an acute outbreak of shingles, our Pain Management Clinic can offer the treatment, surveillance and education you need to manage your symptoms and the pain associated with the virus.
Goals for treatment include:
- Reduction of pain
- Hastening the healing of blisters
- Reducing the risk of postherpetic neuralgia (PHN)
A personalized treatment program will be designed, based on the severity of the outbreak. Treatment options include:
- Early intervention & steroid (intradermal & epidural) injections
- Antiviral medications
- Oral steroids
- Short-term opiods
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Lidocaine skin patches
- Other topical applications
We accept a referred patient as soon as your primary care physician has started the first round of antivirals.