The aquatics program at Northeast Rehab provides therapy sessions to children and adults with orthopedic and neurological conditions. Aquatic therapy can benefit patients with conditions such as:
- Back/neck pain
- Sprains and strains
- Recovery from surgery
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Guillain-Barre syndrome
There are numerous benefits derived from aquatic-based exercise, including:
- The buoyancy of the water enables early weight bearing with less stress on joints and bones to promote healing.
- Range of motion and strength can be improved sooner with less pain due to the ease of movement in the water.
- Hydrostatic pressure and buoyancy stimulate proprioceptors improving movement patterns as well as decreases swelling.
- Performing exercises in warm water helps increase circulation and relaxation, decrease abnormal tone and improve cardiovascular endurance all while decreasing pain levels.
- The jets provide for tissue relaxation as well as resistance for strengthening exercises.
- Aquatic therapy provides a safe and comfortable environment to improve balance reactions and assist in acquisition of walking, transferring and reaching skills
Aquatic Services Include:
- Individualized therapy sessions
- One-on-one treatments with physical or occupational therapists
- Orthopedic and neurological aquatic programs
- Acute and chronic pain management
- Aquatic group therapy
- Maintenance group
- Arthritis Foundation aquatic program