Parkinson’s Disease is a progressive neurological disease that effects various aspects of motor control within the body. In a person with Parkinson’s Disease, the brain can’t produce enough of a chemical called Dopamine. As a result, the brain can’t send proper signals to the muscles of the body. This can have a negative impact on a person’s normal, voluntary movements, including walking, using their hands, balance and even talking, which uses muscles of the larynx or voicebox.
Northeast Rehab offers Parkinson’s Disease rehabilitation at several of our outpatient neuro centers. They combine physical, occupational and speech therapy to provide patients with specialized treatment in order to help them achieve optimal outcomes as well as substantial functional improvement.
LSVT BIG and LOUD
LSVT BIG and LOUD ® (Lee Silverman Voice Treatment) are innovative therapy solutions for Parkinson’s disease and other neurological conditions. Both programs are administered over 16 individual sessions of intensive one-on-one therapy.
LSVT BIG is a comprehensive, intensive physical/occupational therapy program that has been proven to promote strength, motor learning and brain function.
- Improves step size, arm swing and posture as well as one’s confidence with walking and balance activities
- Promotes independence with daily activities such as handwriting, cutting food and getting dressed
- Retrains sensory awareness of the effort required for normal movement
LSVT Loud is an intensive speech therapy program that improves the quality of voice and speech for individuals living with Parkinson’s disease. It focuses on increasing vocal loudness and is provided by a speech therapist.
- Enhances vocal amplitude or loudness
- Promotes carryover of learned techniques into daily communication and conversation
- Improves swallowing, facial expression, intelligibility of speech and brain function
LSVT BIG and LOUD
Four-day-a-week, four-week programs that can only be administered by certified clinicians. Sessions are individualized and based on the specific needs of the patient. Patients are offered free follow-up screenings to ensure good self-maintenance as well assess their ongoing function and any additional needs.
To learn more about our Parkinson’s/LSVT Program or to schedule an appointment with one of our LSVT Certified therapists, please contact us at 888-950-9939.