COVID-19 has affected many people and can have lasting effects, well beyond the acute phase of the virus. People that have ongoing symptoms from COVID-19 develop what is known as ‘Post-COVID Syndrome’ or ‘Long COVID.” Another term some are using is ‘long hauler.’ These long haulers have symptoms that can range from mild to severe, and can include symptoms that effect their breathing, strength, concentration, and balance. Some of the most common symptoms for Post-COVID Syndrome include:
- Difficulty focusing/concentration/‘brain fog’
- Shortness of breath
- Decreased exercise tolerance
- General deconditioning
- Difficulty walking or loss of balance
- Impaired sleep
Post-COVID therapy can help with all of these symptoms. Physical, occupational, and speech therapy can help you feel better and return to normal activities. Some specific benefits of post-COVID therapy include:
- Physical therapy (PT) has been proven to improve muscle strength and endurance after COVID-19
- PT will also help improve your balance and walking
- Occupational therapy (OT) will help improve independence with activities of daily life and self-care
- Speech therapy will work on improving your cognition and speech deficits commonly seen with post-COVID Syndrome
- Your therapist will monitor your vital signs and teach you how to keep them in a safe range
- If you have or have had difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, our therapists will teach you techniques that will improve your breathing so you can return to your normal activities again.
To learn more about our Post-COVID therapy program or to find out if you or a loved one might benefit from working with one of our therapists, please call 888-950-9939.